UniCare Logo
UniCare 30 Years GIC Logo
Plan Button Basic spacer Plan Button Plus spacer Plan Button Community Choice spacer Plan Button Medicare Extension


Welcome to the UniCare State Indemnity Plan

Learn about our four health plan options and see which plan is right for you.

Who is UniCare?

UniCare is a health benefits company with deep, long-standing roots right here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. We’ve been serving Group Insurance Commission (GIC) members, retirees and their families for 30 years. Learn more about UniCare.

What is the UniCare State Indemnity Plan?

The UniCare State Indemnity Plan provides health benefits exclusively to people insured through the GIC. We offer a variety of plan options that provide you and your family with comprehensive medical benefits.

All of our plans also include coverage for prescription drugs and behavioral health services. Starting July 1, 2018, prescription drugs will be administered by Express Scripts for non-Medicare members. SilverScript will continue to administer prescription drugs for Medicare members.

Also starting July 1, 2018, behavioral health services for all members will be administered by UniCare, in partnership with Beacon Health Options.

Our four plan options differ by residency requirements; which providers you can use; what copays, deductibles and premiums you pay; and whether you are eligible for Medicare. See the chart below for an overview of each plan option.

UniCare has a nationwide network of doctors and hospitals, so you and your family are covered if you need medical care, wherever you travel. Your dependents who attend school full-time out of state also have nationwide coverage.

Four plan options to choose from

We offer:

New for July 1, 2018: Our PLUS and Community Choice plans are now available to GIC Retired Municipal Teachers (RMT) and Elderly Governmental Retirees (EGR), as well as our premier Basic plan.

 

Plan option Type of plan Medicare or Non-Medicare Where you must live to be eligible Provider access and member costs
Basic Plan Indemnity Non-Medicare Anywhere in the world See our Compare Our Plans brochure
PLUS Plan PPO-type Non-Medicare Anywhere in New England See our Compare Our Plans brochure
Community Choice Plan PPO-type (a limited network plan) Non-Medicare MA only 1
See our Compare Our Plans brochure
Medicare Extension Plan Indemnity Medicare Anywhere in the U.S. See our Medicare Extension brochure

 

1 Not available on Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket

Important: The plan brochures noted in the chart above contain summaries of plan benefits only. Benefits vary depending on the services you receive and the providers you see. Please read the member handbook carefully to fully understand your benefits.

Common questions about our plans

What is an indemnity plan?

An indemnity plan is a health plan that lets you use any medical provider (such as a doctor or hospital) without referrals for office visits to specialists, no matter where you get the services. We offer two indemnity plan options: Basic and Medicare Extension. Under these plans, most services are paid at 100% of the allowed amount after any copay and deductible that may apply.

What is CIC?

CIC stands for Comprehensive Insurance Coverage. Our two indemnity plans – Basic and Medicare Extension – have the CIC option. When you have CIC, more services are covered at 100% (compared to 80% without CIC). However, the same services are covered, whether you have CIC or not.

Should I select the CIC option?

Yes. More than 98% of our Basic and Medicare Extension members choose CIC. Members who do not select CIC may be subject to significant medical bills, since many benefits are covered at 80% instead of 100%.

What is a PPO-type plan?

Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs) are plans that have a network of doctors and hospitals that are “preferred” by the health plan. When you see a preferred provider, UniCare pays 100% of the allowed amount (after copay and deductible, if any). When you see a non-preferred provider, UniCare pays 80% of the allowed amount (after copay and deductible, if any), and you are responsible for the other 20%. Outside Massachusetts, non-preferred providers may bill you for charges over what UniCare pays.

UniCare offers two PPO-type plans, Community Choice and PLUS:

How can I get more information about these plans?

Check out our short video that compares our three non-Medicare options. You’ll also find lots of other helpful information on our Members page. You can also call UniCare Member Services toll free (833-663-4176 for Basic, PLUS and Community Choice members and 800-442-9300 for Medicare Extension members) to order plan materials. We look forward to serving you.


About UniCare
| Legal | Site Map | Contact Us


For self-funded plans, claims are administered by UniCare Life & Health Insurance Company. © 2018 UniCare